Based upon my last post, it has hit me that this little blog could actually be a forum for a variety of my highly evolved opinions (or dare I say reflections) on some critical (to me) matters. Good thing I have turned off the "comments section" of this blog as I am sure I would get comments for offending.
So, why do I like the book Ecotopia? Well, first some background. Ecotopia was published in 1975 and is considered the world's first dramatic portrait of an ecologically sustainable society. I discovered the book in 2005, when the 30th Anniversary Issue was published. It is not a fantastically well-written book and I could definitely do without the "1970's free-love" dissertations. But, I like the book because the ideas presented 30 years ago are exactly what we need today for so many of the issues the United States currently faces. (An excellent book discussing the current situation is Deep Economy, another one of my recommendations).
The premise is that Washington, Oregon and Northern California secede from the United States, close their borders and become a self-contained country, economy and government. Instead of " living speeded-up, stressed-out, consumption-driven lives," Ecotopians learn how to live sustainably. They work fewer hours at jobs that are personally fulfilling; send their kids to schools that value nature, the outdoors, "real" learning and being a kid; and take the time to know their neighbors for who they are, not for what they have. Life is simpler. There's not so much pressure to get stuff, and more and more of it. People actually have time to read, work on hobbies, relax and think. And there's no criticism for not running 24/7. It makes me want to move to Montana and build a cabin off the grid. Well, sort of.... Maybe as a vacation home.... And therein lies the problem. We affluenza-afflicted Americans, myself included, are so addicted to stuff and comfort and being busy that it is really hard to change.
For now, the best I can do is try to make small changes. Make sure the kids know what is important even as they enjoy their electronic toys. Demonstrate by example - community service & ecological responsibility. Purchase and consume only what we need. Be aware of WHAT we are purchasing and where it comes from. Support local CSA's. The list goes on and on. I think our family is doing somewhat okay, but we can certainly do alot better.
I'll end with a plug for "The Story of Stuff", a video that APD brought to my attention - watch it following this link. The Story of Stuff
Interesting aside - if you are intrigued by this post you might like this article by Ernest Callenbach the author of Ecotopia
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment